Sunday, September 21, 2008

From the Mouths of Babes. . .

I’m wide eyed in the presence of children these days. I soak them in- their laughter and tears. . . their joy. Each extends a tiny glimpse of the future and stirs expectancy in my soul.

Today at church I was reminded of the power of childlikeness in the realm of the spirit as I observed the uninhibited praise of the young. . . Three girls in particular about 6 years of age caught my attention. They left their seats and moved close to the stage during worship. . . As the music filled the air, they danced and lifted their hands, singing with all their might. They were undoubtedly reflexing to the movement of the Divine all around. They were unaware of the judgment of man, social norms, or their images. They were entirely consumed with affection for their Savior. It was passion in its purest form. I sensed the pleasure of God raining down on them as I watched. . . I ran my hands over my belly, envisioning my tiny baby saturated in the presence of God within me. Then my mind flashed forward, carrying me to another time and place . . . the tiny stature of our child was suddenly at my side with hands lifted high, offering honest, passionate, and unrestrained expressions of love and thanksgiving to the Lord and it overwhelmed my heart. I sensed the beckoning of God in the spirit, calling me to come . . . closer and closer until my flesh is so consumed with the reality of Him that I, too, release every social constraint and inhibition and offer up my entire being as an offering of reverent adoration. Oh, Holy Spirit, teach us to cast off our adult dispositions . . . robe us in the humility of a child that we may behold the face of our Savior!

3 comments:

John, Angela, and Briley Barker said...

I love the beautiful picture that childlike worship brings! I see Briley just pause and I pray over her that she would KNOW our God at a young age and that I would provide a Godly example for her to follow. I wish my praise could be as unashamed and focused...not worrying about others, what's happening, or where I need to be. I'm always so challenged by seeing my kids worship and how I'm leading them.

jae lindsay + aaron said...

Just thought I'd tell you again how much I enjoy your page, your writing captures so many amazing feelings that I would never begin to know how to put into words. This is truly one of your gifts. Your description of your own experiences make me so hopeful for that day...in the future...when we're called upon to be parents as well. Wishing you guys the very best -
Jae

Adrian said...

Childlike worship and praise is truly a beautiful sight to witness. We pray with Cole often throughout the day, telling him of God's goodness towards us and all about His marvelous creation. Just last week, Cole initiated our prayer before lunch...it brought tears to my eyes. Words as simple as "Pray Mommy...Jesus" moved my soul. In moments such as this, I can see why Jesus welcomed the little children unto Himself...their love and praise is so pure, so unconditional. I too hope that Cole will be unashamed of his Mighty Savior as he grows and that he will walk in the Lord's light and truth.